So you’re cleaning out your files of works in progress, false starts and abandoned projects. Delete, delete, delete. Crumple and dump. It’s going great. Then you start reading.
Cancel plans for the rest of the day and follow these steps:
- Pull up (or out, if in a drawer) the old manuscript. Dust off the real or metaphorical cobwebs.
- Read the manuscript.
- Realize it’s pretty good. Decide it needs to be published.
- Sit down to give it a quick edit, or type it into Word (if a printout).
- Realize it’s pretty bad and needs to be beaten into shape.
- Highlight. Delete. Patch in new stuff. Highlight. Ctrl X, Ctrl V.
- Read it over again. Decide it’s much better and just needs another once-over.
- Three minutes into the once-over, realize it’s a big mess.
- Patch in more new stuff. Highlight. Delete. Highlight. Ctrl X, Ctrl V. Repeat Steps 6 through 9 as…
View original post 327 more words